About a month ago I was intrigued by a few articles in the fashion and beauty industry on dying your hair unconventional colors. One particular article caught my interest about Lauren Conrad’s beauty team who did a fun post with multiple colors.Dying your hair has always been a messy and daunting task not to mention extremely hazardous to your health. Being that I am intrigued by Scene hair styles I decided to dedicate this blog post to safely dying your hair fun colors using Kool-Aid. For those of you who have never dyed your hair before you may want to have a friend help you and Kool-Aid may be the perfect alternative, the lighter your hair the better your results.
You will need: Kool-Aid (3-5 packets depending on the length of your hair), hair conditioner, a glass bowl, aluminum foil (if you are doing streaks), a highlighting wand, latex gloves, clock, towel and petroleum jelly.
1. Put on your latex gloves (remember Kool-Aid stains everything!)
2. Dab the petroleum jelly around your hair-line on your skin to avoid dying you skin the same color as your hair.
3. Put some hair conditioner in your glass bowl and add your packets of Kool-Aid. If you are doing multiple colors make sure to keep the colors separated in different bowls.
4. Mix the Kool-Aid with the hair conditioner so the color is evenly distributed. (Tip: you may want to cover and heat the hair conditioner in the microwave for a few seconds to help the Kool-Aid dissolve better)
4. If you are applying streaks place a sheet of aluminum foil under the hair you are dying and apply the Kool-Aid mixture to your hair using the highlighting wand. After the mixture is applied to the hair wrap it in the aluminum foil and move on to the next section.
5. Once you are done, check the clock so you are aware of the time. There is no required amount of time to leave the Kool-Aid in your hair however the longer you leave it on the darker your results.
6. After the desired color is achieved rinse your hair with water and style as usual.
There are plenty of methods using Kool-Aid to dye your hair be sure to check out youtube for more hands on tutorials.